Wednesday 17 December 2014

Top 6 books read in 2014


I've read a lot of good books this year, books that missed something that would make them great, in my opinion. But a few managed to stand out to me. A few were excellent, even. I thought I'd share those books with you, like I did in 2013. Just like last year, this is a list of my favourite books that I read in 2014, whether they were published this year or not.

I think part of my reading challenge for 2015, will be to read more new books, i.e. books that were actually published in 2015. I don't know why I tend to read books that are a couple of years old. Sometimes is just because I didn't hear about the book around the time it came out. But most of the times it's simply because there are too many books to read, and TOO LITTLE TIME! Oh, well...

Let's go!

Erin Morgenstern - the Night Circus

OMG I loved this book!!! It's definitely one of my favourite books ever! The atmosphere, the characters, the "feels"! The feels are happening, people! It was just such a good mix of worldbuilding, magic, great characters, romance, conflict... Just such a beautiful book! I'm probably going to reread this fairly soon, and I'll probably write a proper review of the book then, because it deserves that.

Ernest Cline - Ready Player One

I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Wil Wheaton, and it was awesome! I'd like to think that I would have loved the book, even without Mr. Wheaton. This books was so much fun reading/listening to, and I loved all the nerdy references. Also; the description of the world inside OASIS was incredible.

N.K. Jemisin - Dreamblood Duology

I absolutely loved both of the books in the Dreamblood Duology. The world, the characters, the magic; everything was brilliant! The Egypt-inspired world sucked me in from page 1, and I speed read both books. What I appreciate most about N.K Jemisins books are the characters; they're very dimensional. And they clearly develop and grow during the books. Also; the "magic" the the gatherers used felt so wonderfully unique. I haven't read anything like it before! And as someone who loves her maigc, I really appreciated that. This definitely one of my favourite fantasy series!

Ben Aaronowitch - Rivers of London

Way back when, before I really got in to fantasy, I pretty much only read mystery and thrillers. The Rivers of London (or rather, the entire Peter Grant series) combines my love for a good detective novel with fantastical elements. Modern day London + magic + crime and police procedures = a great read!

Jasper Fforde - The Eyre Affair

This was an unexpected delight! It was witty, funny, original and full of literary references. The mix of this alternate England was fascinating and very vivid, and so creative. Unfortunately, I didn't like some of the other books in the series...
Other good books I've read this year worth mentioning:
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters. My review here.
The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay
Phèdre's Trilogy by Jacqueline Carey
Bossy Pants by Tina Fey

Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment