Friday 3 January 2014

Reading challenge and goals 2014


2013 was a really good year in terms of reading for me. I read 134 books, not counting rereads. That's a lot for me. In 2014 I’m planning on setting a goal of 120 books again. I’m not sure whether I’ll have as much time to read or not, but I am pretty sure that I won't have more time, so 120 books seems safe.

I've also decided on some more specific goals for different genres. The numbers of books below add up to 100, not 120. That is because I've decided to give myself som leeway for spontaneous reads.

Genre No.
Fantasy
as well as PNR
45
Mystery 20
Science Fiction 20
Steampunk 5
Classics 5
Non-fiction 5

This past autumn/winter I read the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi, and started on the Vorkosigan Series by Lois McMaster Bujold. I would like to continue reading more science fiction, and maybe explore different subgenres of sci-fi; space operas, futuristic mystery, dystopian etc.

I've never really read a lot of non-fiction, apart from books I've had to read for school. In 2014 I want to read some biographies/memoirs. And maybe some earth science as well.

As you can see above, I'm going to read a lot of fantasy (no surprise there). But I wanted to challenge myself further so I thought I'd try to read more fantasy published before 2000. Maybe reread Katherine Kerr's Deverry Series? We'll see...

What are your reading goals for 2014? Any good sci-fi to recommend? Let me know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment